BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

5.11.2008

Biblical names?

Today there was an article about 2007's most popular names in America. Emily is #1 for girls for the 12th year, and Jacob #1 for boys for the 9th.

They go on to say Biblical names are big for boys, with James, Michael, Joshua and Matthew all having made the top 10.

After that they say the other names on the list are Ethan, Daniel, Anthony, William and Andrew.

I think they need to do a bit more Bible study, as most of those names also appear in the Bible, most notably Daniel, who has an entire BOOK named after him and Andrew, who was one of the 12 disciples. Ethan is also in the bible a few times, although more obscure than the other two.

I do not remember William or Anthony in the Bible, but the others are definately there.

For the curious, other girls names in the top 10 were: Isabella, Emma, Ava, Madison, Sophia, Olivia, Abigail, Hannah and Elizabeth.

Abigail, Hannah and Elizabeth are all Biblical, too.

For all the "unique names" we see in education, it appears most people are choosing quite traditional, almost old-fashioned names. None of the boys names are "trendy" and the only non-classic girl name on the list is Madison, which while not being an old name, is still quite mainstream.

P.S. I have a hard time typing Hannah with an "h" on the end after all my years of friendship with Hanna.

3 comments:

Ouph said...

Hee, hee, hee...my plan of world domination is coming true.

GAH! I think I was just channelling your husband there for a minute :)

The Ingraldi Family said...

Ava was a top 10! We thought it was original. I guess not.

Amber said...

Yeah, I know a lot of little girls in the "under three" set who are named Ava. It's become quite popular. It's still really pretty!