BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

3.14.2009

an admission

In high school, "Hootie and the Blowfish" was big. Everyone loved them. They got played at all the dances.

I hated them. I did not enjoy their sound, they had nothing that I found appealing.

So, when news broke a while back about Hootie's lead singer, Darius Rucker, going country for a solo album, I was skeptical. I did not like this guy when his band was big in the 90's, surely now he just a washed up 40-something ex pop star trying for a comeback however he can, right?

When his first single broke, I liked it. I liked it the first time I heard it, even knowing it was his. On subsequent hearings, it grew on me. I liked it more and more. I kept thinking, wow, this is really the guy from Hootie?

His next single broke. I loved it.

I've now heard his whole album. I like or love over 3/4 of the songs. The other 1/4 are listenable. I don't hate any of them, but they serve the usual filler purpose. They won't be singles, or get radio play, but if you buy the whole album, you won't feel compelled to skip them, either.

My admission...I, the Hootie hater, the skeptic...have fallen in love with Darius Rucker as a country artist.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious! flat out I like both of Darius' musical ventures. but I am glad that you enjoy his latest one
love you sissy