BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

6.29.2008

Home Sweet Home

Well, I am home. I now face the monumental task of unpacking 12 days worth of stuff from 2 suitcases. Blah. I hate unpacking.

All my pets are still alive, thanks to Donald and Joel.

While I was home I: got a haircut, swam in my grandma's new pool almost every day, weeded flowerbeds for a combined 14 hours, babysat for my cousin's 3 kids once and my brother's baby 5 times, hung out with most of my family, learned a new game called Settlers of Catan (which is awesome), ate Taco John's (a must on any visit home), watched Lars and the Real Girl, the Bucket List, and Accepted, got a tan despite applying over 3 bottles of sunscreen during my visit, and felt really peaceful.

A strange feeling overtook me on the way back to Springfield. One I was not expecting to have yet. One that really took me by surprise.

I'm ready for school to start back up.

Yes! Already, before July even hits! Shocking, I know.

I'm ready for that anticipatory feeling of getting everything ready and making new plans for the coming year. (For teachers, years begin in August, not January. January only serves to confuse our students as to what year it is for at least 3 months.) I'm looking forward to further developing my relationships with my returning students and my friends on staff. I'm even actually ready for a staff meeting or two.

I've never been ready for school to start back up again so soon into the summer.

I think it is a good sign. This job was quite different from what I had done in the past. I was quite sure I needed to take this job, but quite unsure as to whether I would love it. Truth is, I do. It's not without stress, for sure, but I feel like I fit into it well. I could easily see myself doing this for the rest of my career (unless I actually get a chance to go to law school).

I also think it has something to do with not teaching summer school. My summers for the last few years have not even started until July, so I gained an extra month this year. So, I guess it kind of makes sense. I've had 4 weeks of vacation, and before, that would mean only two weeks left. So it would be time to start anticipating. This year, however, I have all of July and half of August to go. (Although, I am signed up for several summer academies between now and then which will fill some time and help me earn some money missed by not teaching summer school.)

4 comments:

Ouph said...

I love Settlers! We so have to play now :)

Mercutio said...

Yeah, Settlers is very fun and has a high replayability factor.

Also, can't wait to see you guys!

The Ingraldi Family said...

Yes, Amber, Taco John's is a must. Luckily, we now have one in Nebraska nearby my house :)

Amber said...

I'm so jealous. I need a Taco John's in Springfield. MMMM...Potato Oles...