BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

3.22.2008

new book of the month

My new years resolution was to read at least one book per month that I had never read before, that was written for adults.

January I read Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. It was okay, but not as good as people said it was. I would (and most likely will) read something else by Pratchett, but would probably not reread this one.

February I read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. I had heard his books were great, and I did enjoy The Eyre Affair. I think it moves slowly, though, and that may turn some people off. It is written for well read people and I appreciated that. I liked the literary references and I loved the universe he created where literary characters and real people can interact off the pages.

This month I read The Big Over Easy, also by Jasper Fforde. He wrote two series, one centered around a LiteraTec named Thursday Next (the Eyre Affair is in that series) and one centered around "Nursery Crimes" (crimes taking place against/because of nursery rhyme characters). This book is in the Nursery Crime series. I really liked this book. I liked it more than the Thursday Next book, and when I grab another Fforde book, it will be the next book in this series. It was funny, moved faster and felt lighter.

April's book is undecided as of yet. I've thought about another Pratchett book, or the next Nursery Crime book. But, I wonder if I should find other authors to enjoy. Although that was not the point of the resolution. The natural course of reading tends to be that you find an author or series you like and you read them. So why would I feel guilty if I read Fforde books each month? It is still a book I've never read. Does it defeat the point? I'm not sure.

0 comments: