BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

6.13.2010

The many naps of Nugget

Puppies do three things with the majority of their day.  Pee 40 times, take 30 naps and chew anything they can get their teeth on! 

He's definately going to be long haired.  His coat is starting to grow in on his ears and the backs of his legs.  He's also gained 2 pounds since I got him 10 days ago!

He likes to go bye-bye in the car.  We went to Andy's the other night and he got a puppy cone.  He ate it so fast he was shivering!  Yesterday I took him to the SPS Community Fair and he got tons of attention, ate a lot of dropped popcorn and fell in love.  He would have easily left me and gone home with the new love of his life.  The Honeybaked Ham lady.  She gave him ham and for the rest of the time he tried to pull me back to her booth!

 I made three pet beds, it's the black and white paw print bed seen above. Dash and Nugget both like them, Jax could care less. I keep one in the car and when Nugget goes bye-bye with me I make him stay on it, which helps him have some boundries and keeps me driving safer!

I am going to try to get him approved as a therapy dog, either through Love on a Leash or Therapy Dogs International.  He has to be a year old first, but that gives me time to work on all the skills he will need to be certified.  He loves everyone, so he would make a great therapy dog.  He lets anyone love and cuddle him.  The only thing he has been afraid of is the Springfield Cardinals mascot at the community fair yesterday!  And really, who can blame him for being afraid of the giant bird man?

Donald was not thrilled with the idea of getting a dog.  And normally, him telling me no would have decided it for me.  I would have dropped it and moved on.  I try not to do things that he really doesn't want or would make him unhappy.  But, with this, I just couldn't.  I really wanted a dog.  I needed him.  So I pestered, and eventually Donald gave in.  In fact, I think this is the first time I have every really gone against his decision for something big.  I felt bad about it, but somehow I couldn't stop myself.  And if he had kept saying no, I never would have gotten him.  I would not have brought home a dog without him saying, however grudgingly, that I could.

The truth is, this puppy makes me happier than I have been in quite awhile. He needs me and it's nice to feel needed. Plus he is cute and loving and cuddly. He adores me and follows me everywhere and makes it impossible to feel too sad.
And yes, I know that I am using him to replace having a baby.  I'm filling a void.  I'm aware of the psychological implications.  I'm ok with that.  I'm not treating him like a human, or demanding that anyone else do so.  He has boundries, discipline and is being trained to be a good dog.  I'm not off the deep end, and I'm trying to keep it healthy.

2 comments:

Ouph said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing what you can to help fill that particular void. If Nugget can provide even a smidgen of relief there, I say full steam ahead. Short of the dressing him up and acting like he's an actual kid part :)

Diego said...

I still say we should name him Death. And then, we could be the masters of Death. How awesome would that be!